Debate on shark feeding in FijiMarch 26, 2012
The Adventures of Joji GobyMarch 27, 2012
Children in Wailevu district, Cakaudrove, with mangrove seeds. Photo (c) Stacy Jupiter
Environmental issues will be at the heart of Fiji’s youth agenda – helping young people to address key environmental challenges. WCS Fiji attended a recent Ministry of Youth and Sport consultation workshop to inform strategies and plans for this new Ministry.
The workshop identified barriers and gaps affecting the engagement of young people and made recommendations for the Ministry, including:
- Capacity building on youth engagement for traditional leaders (particularly Turaga ni Koro through i-Taukei Affairs)
- Influence existing church and youth groups to tackle environmental challenges
- Involve young people in monitoring their local environment
- Incorporate climate change awareness/adaptation (in a Fijian context) into the national curriculum – empowering young people to participate in informed community debate and decision making processes
- Showcase/promote good practice in youth engagement
We look forward to supporting the Ministry and young people in Fiji to make a better future for all.